What does 2012 hold for Newcastle city centre?

Graham Soult

Retail consultant, writer, blogger; helping retailers via CannyInsights.com and CannySites.com. Say hello on Twitter at @soult!

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. stevepw says:

The only major problem I see with the redevelopment of monument mall is by doing away with the mall and having full depth shops accessed from blacket street. This will render the upper levels of the current mall unaccesable leaving a huge ammount of dead space or have I just missunderstood the plans

2. sophie says:

ohhh yes its all good isnt it apart from all the p eople who have lost their jobs for the new monument mall project…

3. Peter (Newcastle Historian) says:

Hi Graham,

I suppose the revamp of Monument Mall (as described) will also close one of the entrances (perhaps the ‘least known’ one) to Fenwicks Department Store?

• Graham Soult says:

The new basement plan that I’ve seen shows what looks like a very convoluted route connecting Fenwick with Monument Metro, but I haven’t quite worked out how it all works on the ground!

4. Steve says:

Great article Graham and totally agree with your comments regarding HMV.

As a massive music fan and someone who used to work in a record shop I would hate to see HMV disappear from the high street, but the impression I get from their stores is of a retailer without direction.

Yes, music sales are falling but there is no reason why they can’t be successful. Stores such as Rise (in Cheltenham and elsewhere), and FNAC in Paris prove that well merchandised, well designed, well stocked entertainment stores can work. Rise in particular is a great shop for the serious music fan and also has an extensive vinyl section – given that vinyl sales are on the increase I think HMV are missing a trick here as few of its stores stock it.

2012 will certainly be an interesting one for retail in Newcastle and elsewhere.

5. Scott says:

Another really interesting piece as ever Graham. Looking forward to seeing what 2012 brings for Newcastle.