Long-lost London Woolies in High Holborn and Tottenham Court Road

Graham Soult

Retail consultant, writer, blogger; helping retailers via CannyInsights.com and CannySites.com. Say hello on Twitter at @soult!

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. Graham Soult says:

Many thanks Rana! I believe I’ve correctly identified the locations of the two Oxford Street ones here: http://www.soultsretailview.co.uk/2011/04/11/tracking-down-oxford-streets-second-ex-woolworths/

2. Rana Singh says:

My family ran two Indian Restaurants in the area:
    24 Goodge Street (1959-1972)
    60 Tottemham Court Road (1966-1992)
    so I grew round there.

Woolworths were situated:
    Tottemham Court Road – south side of Stephen Street approx where Brian’s Hi-Fi/Sony Centre & Samsung Centre now stand. The area was totaly redeveloped in the 1970s. There never was A Woolies in the current Paperchase – our restaurant was right opposite it – but during a brief period in the 1970s it did sell drums electric guitars etc.

Oxford Street – One in the main HMV. Woolies left in 1978 and the site became “Oxford Walk” which contained small independants before HMV opened in 1986.
    Second Woolies approx oppsite where BHS is near Oxford Circus.

3. ruth says:

can anyone tell me the name of a very large store(specialised in Mail order) on left hand side of sdtreet going towards City(near Holburn)..going back 40-50 years

4. Gabriella Coscia says:

The woolies in The Strand was is Boots the Chemists now near to a Tesco Express near the Aldwych end of the Strand.

5. Gabriella Coscia says:

I actually wonder whether Woolworths had had two locations or had moved branch whilst in Tottenham Court Road because where HSBC is which was Midland bank along with what I remember as Laskys then something else, in a 60′s ugly building the typical mosaic red tiling of a 70′s woolworths that used to adorn say Oxford Street’s branch until it’s closure with the Winfield sign was at this building which makes me think it was the Woolworths building heading towards near the former Zavvi / Virgin store at the eastern end of Oxford Street soon to be Primark’s Eastern Flagship Oxford Street store.

Regarding Victoria Woolworths you are right it is an Argos Extra and also a Wetherspoons and some of the Woolworths doors remains as an emergency exit near Victoria Station but I am sure that store didn’t shut until 87 but I could be wrong.

6. Gabriella Coscia says:

Hi Graham,

I thought the Tottenham Road Woolies was where a branch of HSBC is in a 60′s building because the red mosaic tiles that Woolworths used to use was still on the fascia after the branch had closed. This is adjacent to a cinema.

I don’t remember a woolies in the 70′s in Tottenham Court Road but it is a long time. I only remember the one’s in still open but closing during the 80′s and for a fact as I lived in Holborn from mid 80′s to late 97 I know Robert Dyas has always been in that location and Woolworths had two entrances one where Argos Extra is on Gray’s Inn Road the other round the corner where Thorntons, H and B and DP are.